Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Today's Writing Tip -- One Word or Two?

Some words are confusing because they can be spelled as either one word or two. Take percent, anymore, or every day.

Percent was originally spelled as two words, and the British and Canadians continue that trend; however, in the U.S., it's spelled as one word.

Anymore means different things when it's spelled as one word or two. If you're wondering if there is extra chocolate mousse, you would say, "Is there any more chocolate?" (This is reminiscent of Oliver Twist.) In that case, the word means additional. But if you've had too much chocolate -- hard to envision, but I'm sure that it happens to some people -- then you want to say, "No, thanks. I don't even want to see chocolate anymore!" In the last example, anymore means ever again.

Every day is two words when you're using it as a noun. But when you're using everyday as an adjective, make it one word. Here is an example. "Every day I go about my everyday activities."
If you're unsure about when to use one word or two, drop me a comment and I'll reply.

Happy writing! Sigrid

Buy Be Your Own Editor directly through me by hitting the Contact Me button or sending an e-mail to sigridmac at rogers.com. Or simplifiy your life and get it on PayPal.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Search Engine Optimization